ASIS: Robotic fully automatic double seam inspection
fully automatic seam inspection based on our SEAMetal HD system!
Developed by Quality By Vision in conjunction with DAPS Australia, ASIS is the world’s first, fully Automated Seam Inspection System. Based on easily programmable and customizable robotic technology, ASIS is a fully flexible system that provides a destructive (FDA approved!) seam measurement for accurate analysis of all can seam parameters without the need for operator intervention.
ASIS is the result of 3 years of research and development by DAPS and Quality By Vision. Initially developed for a world leading beverage filler, the system is now available to the complete spectrum of can manufacturers and fillers, covering aluminium, steel and composite cans of various sizes.
Unlike other systems, ASIS can be programmed to test a large range of can diameters and lengths, making it a World Class system unlike any other. ASIS has been tested and proven: the first unit has been running 24 hours a day since 2004 with almost no downtime. The system can be activated and deactivated using the control panel outside the test cell and double seam images, measurement reports and statistics can be viewed from any computer in the plant using SEAMetal’s built in SPC module. SEAMetal’s automatic alerts and status monitors ensure that if there is a critical seam issue that requires attention, supervisors will know about it before the problem gets out of hand.
ASIS uses industry leading SEAMetal technology to measure the cans, so you get a flexible and robust robotic platform built around a full featured seam inspection system with repeatability that is second to none!
Modes of Operation
- Off-line – Operator places 6, 12, 18 or any number of empty cans in their respective chutes in head order in an off-line application. The appropriate standard is selected by the operator or the system for the can size to be analyzed, and the operator presses the run button.
- On-line – ASIS is fed a set of cans by the customer material handling system in head order for on-line applications.
- ASIS can be programmed to analyze a range of cans from 202 to 603 in a range of heights to encompass any plant’s full product range!
- The use of an embedded robotic system allows an array of flexibility that will ensure current and future customer requirements (ASIS will never become obsolete, even if your can sizes change!)
- Measurement method and SEAMetal software are FDA compliant and provide a legal alternative to manual seam lab measurements. See FDA regulations and SEAMetal 21CFR part 11 compliance for more information.
- Sorts measured cans in to “OK” and “Reject” chutes when measurement is complete.
- Automatically empties beverage cans, cuts and cleansthe seam before the SEAMetal measurement, ensuring accurate and repeatable seam detection (food cans can also be measured, but must be empty before use).
- Saves seam images, reports and SPC statistics and displays them on any computer in the plant.
- Low running costs, long blade life
- Priced competitively
- Multilingual interface
- An affordable alternative to X-ray based systems
- Resolution (HD): 0.0002" (0.005 mm) or better
- Number of cuts per can: 1, 2 or 3
- Interface: 1, 2 or 3
- Can types and sizes: Food or beverage, all sizes (202-603)
- Optional hard gauges: Seam thickness, Countersink, Flange, Height