Enamel Rater III
The Enamel Rater III instrument tests the coverage of the enamel coating inside food and beverage cans. It displays an index of the amount of metal exposed by incomplete enamel coverage on a clear, easily read digital LED.
The instrument applies a constant voltage across the can body and an electrode immersed in an electrolyte-filled can, and measures the resulting current. Test voltage is set at 6.3 VDC but is adjustable from 4 to 9 VDC. Operating range is 0 to 500 mA with accurate resolution within 0.1 mA.
Remote sensing power supply ensures accuracy by measuring and regulating test voltage at the can being tested.
The instrument operates in industry standard 4 second mode, continuously, or can be programmed to measure any desired time. In 4-second mode, the display shows the reading only at 4 seconds.
In continuous mode the reading is displayed beside elapsed time with the 4-second reading automatically stored in memory for recall. A simple and foolproof calibration self-test verifies correct, accurate operation.
Location of exposed metal can be determined by reversing voltage which causes bubbles of gas to form on exposed metal for easy visual identification. Electrolyte level and can contact sensors ensure that testing begins only when can is properly filled with electrolyte solution and good electrical contact with the can has been established.
The sturdy enclosure includes a sealed-membrane keypad for protection against moisture and corrosion in the factory environment. An RS232 serial interface permits use with remote computers, printers or data collectors. 110V or 220V versions are available.
- Display 0.4" LED, two-digit timer, four-digit milliamp readings
- Power supply Constant voltage, factory set at 6.3V, adjustable 4V to 9V
- Range 0 - 500mA
- Fill height sensor Electrolyte must be filled to proper level to start test
- Can contact sensor Good electrical contact to can must be established to start test
- remote sensing Power supply: Improves accuracy by measuring and regulating voltage at the can under test
- Display hold Pauses display, returns to real time reading when pressed again
- Voltage reverse Pauses display, returns to real time reading when pressed again
- Rear panel Power cord socket, RS232 serial output, Can Holder/End Panel Holder Socket
- Dimensions Console-6 1/4"w x 4 1/2"h x 7 1/2"d Can Holder-8"w x 12" h x 12"d
- Net Weight: 7 lb (3.15 Kg)