Score Residual Gauge
Computerized laser Score residual gauge measurement
Quality By Vision’s Score Residual Gauge is an inexpensive, accurate and feature-rich gauging solution for any type of Easy Open end.
Because the difference between a good end and an end that doesn’t open or a tab that breaks off is only a few microns, high accuracy repeatable measurements are necessary. Manually focusing on the score groove using a microscope or positioning anvils inside the score is highly subjective (one person saying this point is in focus, while another says it is not).
There are other accepted methods for measuring easy open ends (e.g., Pop & Tear). However, these will only indicate high or low pull values. Pop & tear gauges can’t specify where the problem is located and what’s causing it (low or high residual value, tooling wear, etc).
Until today, alternative microscope-based gauges depended on skilled operators who manually focus on the score groove using an external video monitor and micrometer. The high reliance on operators produces a lower GR&R rating, as different operators will evaluate the correct focus differently. A study conducted by our customers indicates that the repeatability of such systems is approximately 5-7 microns (0.0002″-3″)!
These systems are usually quite expensive, as they require an external monitor, an expensive indicator and decoder. They provide SPC and reporting through an additional computer system and software that increase the costs even more. The Quality By Vision approach is to utilize our expertise in optics, software and laser technologies to provide a reliable accurate measurement, improving the measurement repeatablity regardless of the operator. Our Score Residual Gauge is extremely cost effective, and based on 3rd party customer’s studies, produces a repeatability of +/- 1 micron (0.00005″)! The system is easier to maintain there are no additional peripherals (e.g., decoders or video monitors). The gauge is directly connected to the computer via a single USB cable.
In addition to the high accuracy score residual measurement, the gauge can now perform additional important measurements at no additional cost! The Score Residual Gauge can now scan a score groove profile, effectively replacing the need to epoxy the end and do a metallurgic cross section! It can even measure rivet thickness and rivet diameter (optional).
This makes the Score Residual Gauge a robust, accurate and affordable solution to easy open end measurements, score groove profiling and more.
- High repeatability (15% or better) and resolution (+/-1 micron)
- Absolutely no subjectivity – different operators will get the same result
- Automatic measurement
- Affordable solution (uses the computer for most functions)
- Built-in statistics, reports, saves images and profiles
- Motorized PerfectFocusTM – laser detection!
- Score groove profiling technology lets you see and measure the profile of the score groove, quickly and easily
- Measures important additional features, such as rivet diameter and thickness (optional)
- Works on any size and shape easy open end, both steel and aluminum
- Can be connected to external SPC systems (in addition to the reporting & statistics software supplied with the system)
- Score groove profiling and rivet thickness measurements at no extra cost!
- Resolution 0.001 mm (1 micron) = 0.00005" (50 millionths)
- Depth of field: 0.001 mm (1 micron) = 0.00005" or better
- End diameters: 45- 104 mm (1.8"-4.1")
- Range: 0-3 mm (0-0.12")
- Magnification: X900 with a 17" monitor