SEAM360: Non Destructive Seam Inspection for Food Cans
A 360 degree non-destructive measurement of the can's double seam
The SEAM360 is the ultimate machine vision double seam can inspection gauge. The system is used for both three piece and two piece beverage and food cans.
Conventional seam scan technology sample seams at 2-3 points around the can. However, what about the points in between the sample points?
If you measure at a few points around the seam, using a micrometer or seam thickness gauge and destructive tests with a seam scope – you’re missing the most critical information!
Problems can arise as close as a few millimeters from your measurement point and you will not detect them. This means that if a problem is missed, it can be a few more shifts before the problem is detected – resulting in many bad cans being closed or even shipped!
Instead of trying to measure every can (100%) but at a few measurement points, the SEAM360 measures every can’s total external surface area. This exposes many issues that were so far invisible to the operator!
X-ray systems measure at only a few points around the can, and pressure systems on the seamer can miss even obvious issues because of their technology (e.g., false seams).
Using non-destructive optical technology, Quality By Vision’s new SEAM360 is capable of detecting all of these issues in a fraction of the time it takes to do a seam test and with no operator influence on the results! SEAM360 is the first system capable of checking every point on the seam, so there’s no chance of missing anything.
- Think of SEAM360 as the ultimate double seam gauge check.
- The intuitive software clearly points out what the problem is and where it occurred.
- Many tooling and seamer related issues can be fixed quickly, using the Clearance Gauge.
- If there are issues, simply cut at the exact point where the problem occurs and inspect using SEAMetal double seam analyzer.
Advantages to conventional seam testing methods
- Tests for seaming problems all around the seam, not just at 2-3 points
- Detects and locates hard to find errors that can be easily missed in a seam test, such as compound buildups, variations around the seam, skids, wrinkle, and more!
- An affordable alternative to X-ray based systems
- Much faster and more reliable than conventional external seam gauges
- Less expensive than other fully-automatic seam testers and NON DESTRUCTIVE!
So far, the system has detected:
- Droops & Vees
- False seams
- Broken chucks
- Tooling & Bushing problems
- Seam gap issues
- Overlap problems
- Seam bumps
- Knocked-down flange
- Dead-heads & chuck skids
and best of all … It’s non-destructive!
- Resolution 0.0002" (0.005 mm) or better for seam thickness and length
- Interface USB2
- Optical units Laboratory (manual), In-line (automatic)
- Scan time (one can) about 8 seconds
- Measurement cycle time (6 cans) about 2 minutes