Comprehensive Abrasion Test (CAT)
TQC Sheen CAT
The Comprehensive Abrasion Test is a universal testing machine that tests the coating abrasion resistance on beverage cans or flat materials. The reciprocating motion mimics in-the-field transportation abrasion damage of coatings equivalent to the Gavarti Associates “GV-CAT” system. The Comprehensive Abrasion Test is used in coating test laboratories for quality control work.
Why this Abrasion test?
Beverage cans often suffer from severe scuff and friction during transport which often makes the end product difficult to sell to the end user.
If the paint (or ink) does not survive the scuffing movements during transport and bare aluminium starts to scuff against bare aluminium, a can may start to leak. Carbonated drinks will spray and spill over the entire consignment and can even destroy an entire pallet.
The yearly costs of these damages are significant. Keeping in mind that more than 300 Billion cans are sold globally per annum.
Since the failure of the coating can have two causes, testing has to be done at both paint makers end and at the side of the can maker / paint applicator.
- Tests abrasion resistance of coatings and make sure your cans still look perfect when they hit the shelf
- Reciprocates motion of beverage cans and enables you to perform repeatable tests
- Mimics in-the-field transportation damage. The instrument simulates a truck transport of cans. Setting different speeds and stroke lenghts allows you to mimic any type of road surface.
- Test abrasion resistance of coatings
- Reciprocating motion of beverage cans
- Mimics in-the-field transportation damage
- Menu-driven operation
- Spill drawer
- Can Size 150 – 1000 ml / 5.07 – 33.8 fl. oz. (US) / 5.28 – 35.2 fl. oz. (UK)
- MIN / MAX CAN DIAMETER 53 – 84 mm / 2.1 – 3.3 inch
- MIN / MAX CAN HEIGHT 88 – 205 mm / 3.5 – 8.1 inch
- Power 100 – 240VAC / 50 – 60Hz
- Weight 125 kg / 276 lbs
- Dimensions 1050x790x760 mm / 41.3×31.1×29.9 inch